September 15, 2009

Refacing Books


THE RULES CLEARLY STATE:
Marking or writing in books is strictly forbidden, and any person so defacing books will be required to
replace them.


This is another matter entirely.

Rescued from the free bin at the library - I've given this previously-scribbled-in novel a new lease on life as an art journal. It's a great place to experiment with colors, mediums and design ideas. No rules, just a lot of, "Hmmm...let's see what this looks like."

The paper in this book is a thick and scrumptious cotton with a bit of a tooth - RAWR! - just right for refacing with pencils, pens, and paints. As I work my way through; sketching away, pasting in doodads, treasures and ephemera, I'm surgically removing every other page with an Xacto knife so the final project will lie flat(ish). I've learned to save re-doing the cover for last, which allows me to take the journal everywhere without the fuss of keeping it nice.

My kinda fun.

No comments: